Friday, January 08, 2010

Was in the mood for Chinese oldies tonight - the strange Singaporen kind. So I turned to youtube ( definitely the best invented portal ever! ) for help and I stumbled upon this song. :)))

Ahh, Nostalgia.

But I'm no cheenapiang! This song brings back really good memories. At least for me.

About 5 years ago, back in the JC days, we had the world's most fantastic chinese teacher. Her teaching techniques were amazing - all kinds of pattern also have.

Of course she still had those boring textbook lessons, chinese spellings and essay writing classes. But.. she also had lessons which were fun! And trust me, I've never been excited for ANY chinese lessons before her. Well, any OTHER lessons at all as a matter of fact - maybe except Selina Lim's classes. haha. ( She was so hot. )

So anyway, as I was saying, this teacher had brilliant ideas for Chinese lessons. She could spend the whole hour listening to our lame my-dog-ate-my-homework type excuses and still laugh at them. And she just had this very animate and interesting way of describing Chinese proverbs. I know for a fact that PL really liked her lessons and I dare say that almost the entire class or maybe even all her classes enjoyed them too.

I remember once when she made the entire class bring chopsticks for lesson while she prepared plates of peanuts and we spent that whole hour or 2 practicing how to pick peanuts up the 'proper' way. Obviously that wasn't part of the curriculum but that's what made her so cool!

Of course, that didn't turn out too well. By the end of the lesson, most of our chopsticks were casted aside and we ended up gorging ourselves with handfuls after handfuls of peanut. hahaha. Diet plan fail; lesson objective fail.

Then one really stuffy afternoon, she came into class with a cassette player in her hands and she started playing this song. Somehow, I fell in love with it IMMEDIATELY so I asked her to play it over and over and over and over again. ( Come to think of it, I think pom pom and a few others were moaning/grumbling everytime I asked her to play it again. tsk. ) Unfortunately, she only obliged twice and told me that if I were to do my essay by the end of the lesson, she would play it once more.

Already 17 and still I fell for that trick. :( I DID rush through the essay that day but she never kept her word. Then I nagged her into promising to play it once more before we graduated. That never happened too.

What a liar.

haha. Even so, she was still an amazing teacher and even though the song doesn't sound that fantastic anymore, it's still nice to hear it again. :)

No comments: