Wednesday, August 03, 2011

A darker shade of grey.

On the ferry to manly. After yesterday's leg and shoulder painful walk through e city, I've decided to ditch the crumpler bag and adopt a more tourist look of carrying my backpack. Wei couldn't stop laughing at how I was yelling 'tourist!' just by appearance alone but I didn't think too much of it until I caught a glimpse of my own reflection on a glass door........ Zomg.

But it's only day 5! I'm not hurting my back so early into the trip. Sigh. price u gotta pay for carrying a dslr.

The sun's bright out today. Perfect day for the beach. Wei and I went to the city for some mediterranean breakfast. For her at least. I stuck to the traditional scrambled eggs and toast since I didn't understand half the menu. We took a short walk to another cafe for tea and coffee thereafter before she headed off for school while i made my way to circular quay.

It's one of those wake-up-feel-like-shit days today. But wei's suggestion of sitting in the sun for some drinks helped. Right now I'm enjoying the light, heat, breeze and fresh air. Which makes diving really tempting.

Fast forward. Done with manly. Initial thoughts? Nothing compared to bondi. It was smaller, the beach smelt of ECP and was littered with seaweed. The seagulls were bold and fish n chips friendly. All in all, nothing Spectacular. but you see, i had to make my $17 fast ferry ticket there worth it so I took off my shoes and started walking along the shores.. TWICE! Namely because I realized I lost my lens cap halfway through e first walk. Probably would be smarter of me to pee before stepping into the water but still, the walk was nice. Comforting. Love beaches. Sun n sea.

Manly itself was like a mini coybow town. Somewhat like Jackson Hole where the five of us used to go to on our off days at yellowstone, only without the cowboys. They had more souvenir stores than what I expected Chinatown to have but the things they have were pretty repetative.

Made my way back for dinner after docking at circular quay. Dua Kim cooked steak today and it was SO good. Medium rare finished with mushrooms, potatoes and a huge bowl of salad. Yum.

Its been only less than a wk here but it alrdy seems like a long time. It's official now. I only like days. The sun makes the cold air just cool. And I enjoy walking to the train station every morning. It's about a 10 min walk.. Ok, maybe 15 for my legs but regardless of how I feel when I wake up, the walk plus the radio channel I listen to blends together to give a very hopeful and powerful sensation.

The same walk many many hours later, though, brings about an opposite emotion. The night gives a sense of hopelessness. And the winter amplifies it.

I don't like that.

So it's hard to say if I'm enjoying or not enjoying my trip so far. I hate how I feel every morn when I wake up, I feel excited (albeit tired!) for the day's adventure when I head out and it gets blue when night falls. Some would say it's a fair mix, no? Well i dont know. Like it when i like it, dont hate it when i dont like it. And we learn smth new everyday eh?

Regardless though, I'm alrdy here so I have to brave on the days and deal with it. It definitely isn't a wasted trip though. I still think it's an experience travelling ard and I did want to put myself to e test so.. Haha. It's the winter la. Gung Ho only.

It's day 6. (wah Liao, one post 3 days.) And I still don't like how it felt when I woke up.

So I'll leave you with a quote:

Focus not on what you don't have but on what you have.

Oh emo hour.

Have a gd day mate!

Oz 1024hrs.

No comments: